The new Tattersalls grandstand at Newbury Racecourse, designed by Foster and Partners, opens officially on 25th November, in time for the 2000 Hennessy Gold Cup, one of the important handicaps of the national hunt season, in the presence of Zara Phillips, daughter of HRH of The Princess Royal on behalf of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother.
It replaces two outdated stands, built in 1905, in the Tattersalls enclosure. It provides Newbury with the range and quality of amenities expected by modern race-goers. External circulation between the parade ring and the racetrack has been considerably improved to ease the passage of up to 25,000 expected race-goers moving between the two areas every 30 minutes.
The building has a simple, highly efficient and economical structure. Based on six X-shaped frames it supports three sets of terraces on the track side, with tiered balconies above. The exposed structure serves as a striking symbol of Newbury's process of regeneration.
Unlike its predecessors the new building offers excellent views of both the racecourse and paddock and solves the problems of circulation and wheelchair access. It also provides a restaurant and bar, which, together with the open-plan, ground-floor betting hall, can be used on non-race days for exhibitions, conferences and corporate entertainment.
Entrances to the flexible ground floor space are located on all four sides to ensure maximum permeability in an extremely busy environment. To avoid obstructing the main spaces, all core elements such as lifts, stairs, and services, have been compressed into a single spine of accommodation running along the northern edge of the building. This spine is interrupted in one bay of the building to mark the main entrance and reception area.
The restaurant accommodates 600 people, all of whom can fit easily onto the adjacent tiered balconies to view the races taking place every 30 minutes, without the need to change level. The bar with its broad panoramic view of the track is the first UK project to be carpeted with Milliken Earth Square, reconditioned carpet tiles. Old carpet is super-cleaned, rejuvenated, reprinted with a new pattern and reinstalled for another lifetime of service.
Maximum use is made of natural light in the public spaces, thus minimising energy consumption and aiding user orientation. A canopy over the south-facing terraces, bar and restaurant will shade the race-goers from the sun. A restrained and discrete palette of materials and colours will avoid creating visual distractions for spectators.
Newbury Racecourse Plc
Foster and Partners
Whitby Bird and Partners
Roger Preston and Partners
Montagu Evans Chartered Surveyors
Davis Langdon &Everest
Heery International Limited
Syd Bishop &Sons Ltd
Bachy Soletanche Ltd
Substructure and Superstructure:
Watson Steel Ltd
Precast Stepping Supply
Tarmac Topfloor Ltd
Dane Architectural Systems Ltd
Richardson Roofing Company
GB Lifts Ltd
Dane Engineering Ltd
Facts and Figures:
Gross Floor Area:
1,400 m2 (external)
Number of levels: 5
Building Population: 5503 people
12 month programme: (2 months demolition/enabling works - 10 months construction)
124 000 man hours of construction time
200+ workers involved on the project
Simple, efficient and economical structure
Based on six X-shaped frames - supports three sets of terraces with tiered balconies above
Provides: Restaurant (accommodates 600 people), Bar (provides panoramic view of track) Betting hall/exhibitions conferences and corporate entertainment.
815 tons of structural steel
82 tons of reinforcement
1100 m3 of in-situ concrete
1900m2 of composite panel cladding
2100m2 of roofing membrane
Steel frame - in use as a case study by the Institute of Civil Engineers
Major installation of reconditioned carpet. The first ever retextured carpet to be launched in the UK.