1992 - 1999
The internal refurbishment of the Reichstag, the New German Parliament, was as politically symbolic as the external transformation signalled by the building’s glass cupola. Flourishes of bold, primary colours and transparent materials are used to convey a sense of joy and openness, while stonemason’s marks and Russian graffiti are preserved as a ‘living museum’ of the past. The project was also significant for the commissioning and integration of major works of art by some twenty artists – while the majority are by German artists, the four Allied Powers which occupied Berlin after 1945 are also represented.
Opening Hours:Building is open daily from 8.00 to 23.00 hrs. Admission is free, advanced registration is required.