赫斯特大厦重现了上世纪二十年代人们的梦想，那时出版业巨头威廉 蓝道夫 赫斯特（William Randolph Hearst）曾设想将哥伦布环岛（Columbus Circle）变成曼哈顿的新传媒中心。于是赫斯特先生委托建筑公司在第八大道（Eighth Avenue）建造了一座六层高的装饰艺术风格建筑，设想未来将其作为新大楼的基底。与根据德国国会大厦（Reichstag）及大英博物馆“大中庭”的设计所探索的方法相呼应，事务所在七十年后接手设计这座大楼的挑战为在新与旧之间展开创造性对话，使新旧建筑和谐共存。
从环境角度来讲，大厦的设计也意义非凡。建造之中使用了85%的再生钢材，且其供暖和空调设备在全年的九个月时间内均使用室外空气进行通风换气。此外，相比按照各州府和城市法规的最低要求而建造的建筑，这栋大楼可以节省25%的能耗。凭借这些因素，大厦成为了 曼哈顿地区第一座获得美国绿色建筑委员会（US Green Building Council）“能源与环境设计先锋奖（LEED）”的办公楼。 赫斯特公司非常重视工作环境的质量，认为这对于员工来说将变得日益重要，而人们也希望，赫斯特大厦的成功经验能够引导城市建造更多重视环保的建筑。
Site + Climate
The building envelope was designed to limit glare from low angle sun during the early morning and evenings.
Form + Massing
The massing was predetermined by the footprint of the existing Hearst building. The design of the tower, sought to protect the existing podium, whilst extending the building with a distinctive new tower.
To minimise solar gain, the building envelope contains high performance low emission glass, with integral roller blinds which can be used to reduce glare. The building is naturally overshadowed by the surrounding buildings so large skylights were used at the podium level to bring daylight into the atrium space.
The atrium contains a radiant floor, a tempered water wall and temperature controlled walls. In the office spaces, an economiser cycle on the AHUs provide fresh air ventilation for 75% of year.
Mobility + Connectivity
The design included an upgrade to the local subway station, and reinstated an entrance within the building, giving employees direct access to public transport.
Materials + Waste
The diagrid structure uses 20 per cent less steel than a conventionally framed structure, and it was built using 85 per cent recycled steel. Locally sourced materials are used throughout.
Harvested rainwater from the roof is fed into a central tank and used for irrigation and to feed the water feature. This, alongside water efficient fixtures and fittings, has led to a 30% reduction in water usage compared to a typical building.
Land + Ecology
The design ensured that all existing trees on site were protected, and to ensure their long term vitality, they are now irrigated through the rainwater harvesting system.
Culture + Heritage
The design preserved the façade of the existing structure and establishes a creative dialogue between the old and new. The forty-two-storey tower rises above the old building and has resulted in an award winning addition to the New York Sky Line.
At the base of the tower, there is a large atrium space for the building users. A water feature helps enhance the microclimate by thermally tempering the space, providing acoustic dampening and humidity control. Daylight floods the space through high level sky lights, helping to create a healthy, vibrant space.
Local construction firms were chosen where possible, to enhance the local economy. In operation, the building has helped to regenerate the surrounding area.
Performance in Use
First LEED Gold commercial office building in New York. Since completion it has gone on to achieve LEED Platinum for its operation and maintenance.
Foster + Partners delivered our headquarter building on time and on budget. The success of the building is the result of a close and inspiring collaboration between the Hearst Corporation and Foster + Partners.”Brian G. Schwagerl
Vice President - Real Estate & Facilities Planning
Norman has a feel for what it is your business does. The dialogue is often not about architecture
but how does your business function, and how do people live in the space”Frank A Bennack Jnr, (former) Hearst Chief Executive
In an uncertain age the Hearst Tower is deeply comforting: a building with confidence in its own values.”Nicolai Ouroussoff
NY Times 09/06/06
When the Hearst people chose Foster
they knew they were getting an international star. Still, they might not have suspected he would give them the best building to appear in New York City in decades”Richard Lacayo, Time 15/05/06
- 预约: 2000
- 结束日期: 2006
- 地区: 79 500m²
- 容量: 2200
- 客户: Hearst
- 合作建筑师: Adamson Associates
- 结构工程师: The Cantor Seinuk Group
- 工料测量师: Turner Construction
- 机电工程师: Flack & Kurtz
- 照明工程师: George Sexton and Associates
- 其他顾问: Higgins and Quasbarthm, VDA, Cerami, Ira Beer Assocates, Steven Winter Asssociates, Tishman Speyer Properties, Turner Construction
- International Highrise Award
- Chicago Athenaeum International Architecture Award
- Green Building Competition for New York City, Honourable Mention
- ‘XVI Concorse Internazionale Sistema d’Autore Metra 2008’
- Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH) Best Sustainable Building Award
- BCI Awards – International Award,
- Business Week/Architectural Record Citation for Excellence
- RIBA International Award
- Archi Tech AV Awards – Best Project over $1,000,000,
- The Greater New York Construction User Council Outstanding Green Project Award
- New York City MASterwork Awards – Best New Building,
- AIA New York Design Honor Award in the Architecture category
- Emporis ‘Best New Skyscraper of the Year for Design and Functionality’
- Build New York Awards – Winner New Project,
- Global Green USA Green Building Design Award
- Wallpaper 2004 Design Awards – Winner Best Building Sites,
Hearst Tower Opens in New York City
New York honours for Hearst Tower
Hearst Tower Project, New York
Hearst Tower wins BCI Award